Every year, True/False brings a multitude of talented visual artists from near and far to reinvent our venues and transform public spaces. What began as a visual backdrop for our Fest is now an integral part of every aspect of what we do. Each year T/F adopts a theme and all festival art, including t-shirt designs, are inspired by or reflect that theme.
The 2020 visual theme is FORESIGHT.
Even the most earthbound rationalists among us will admit that there’s more than meets the eye. In the coming year 2020, or 20/20 to the hopeful ophthalmologists, esoteric details formerly hidden will come alive as we celebrate vision and visionaries. Another world is not only possible but is here now if only we’d attune our senses, the ones beyond the standard five. Our theme FORESIGHT speaks to our age-old desire for precognition, to see what’s just around the corner. At T/F 2020, we are asking visual artists to show the future that resides within us all, and to explore humanity’s extraordinary ability to create meaning from fragments. Let your partially dormant pineal gland awaken, and look towards a World’s Fair of our collective potential. As reality ripples out in a ring-like pattern, we see circles and more circles – nonlinear paths to the future. Go forth!
PROMPTS FOR ARTISTS:
- Premonitions / clairvoyancy / second sight / divination / the third eye / pineal eye
- The best-laid plans
- Data visualization in forecasting, incorrect predictions
- Zener cards, i.e. scientific testing of extraordinary claims
- Optical illusions
- 20/20 vision – the tyranny of the norm
- Blurriness vs. focus. Peripheral vision vs. directed vision.
- Revisionist histories / alternative history / retcon
- Surveillance culture & voyeurism
- Creating something for the purpose of documenting it
- The concept of zero (“the point from which all things emerge / the creation of something from nothing”)
The 2020 call for entries will run from August 15 – October 18, 2019; please fill out the submission form below and get us those designs!
Questions? email: [email protected]