Each year T/F adopts a visual theme, and all festival art, including t-shirt designs, are inspired by or reflect that theme.
In 2023 the theme is THIS IS A TEST.
This year’s theme springs from the spirit of experimentation that first brought True/False into the world and has kept us going for 20 editions. The festival remains a work-in-progress, always reaching for new forms of understanding; our collective evolution, innovation, and exploration continue to be essential in forging a way ahead, as a festival, and as humans. With this theme, we invite you to reflect on the very process of life as a journey: a series of experiments in which we all work to figure out what does and doesn’t work (knowing that even failure leads to learning) and acknowledge that ultimately, there are no right or wrong answers. In this time of uncertainty and reckoning, the opportunity to reevaluate and reimagine is still ever-present, if a little obscured, and so we embrace a leap into the unknown in the pursuit of the shining possibility of something better.
We invite graphic artists of all flavors to contribute their interpretations of this theme, and we recommend diving deeply into the prompts and links below.
- No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong. -Albert Einstein
- Trial and error
- The philosophy of reality / metaphysics
- Controlled experiments (The scientific method, placebo effect, variables and control groups, probability)
- Warning signals (a non-verbal indicator)
- Dress rehearsal
- Alternate timelines, self-fulfilling prophecy, nostalgia
- The ethics of experimentation / the limits of testing
- Burden of proof
- Simulations; trust/mistrust of reality
- The next frontier
- Rebirth / a reckoning
- Black box
- Invention / opportunism
Submissions for 2023 are now closed! Applicants will be contacted by January 6, 2023.
Questions? email: [email protected]