Each year T/F adopts a visual theme, and all festival art, including t-shirt designs, are inspired by or reflect that theme.
In 2022 the theme is In/visible Villages.
With this theme the unseen is made visible, veils are lifted, and a newfound spirit is awakened. We take on a triple consciousness, performing acts of provocation, presence, and in/visibility. As always, we look to artists as the vanguard of discovery, partners in imagining new structures and broadening our collaborative spaces.
We invite graphic artists of all flavors to contribute their interpretations of this theme (we recommend checking out our additional prompts below) – manifesting the links between communities and forming part of the visual presence of True/False. Investigate and reevaluate our surroundings and partake in a blending of entities in plain sight and sight unseen.
“The eye does not see things but images of things that mean other things.” — Italo Calvino
Dive deeply into the prompts and links below.
PROMPTS FOR ARTISTS:
- Imaginary friends
- “I am invisible, understand, simply because people refuse to see me.” —Ralph Ellison (The Invisible Man)
- Quantum Entanglement
- Liminal (in-between) spaces; what it means to shift between the invisible and the visible.
- Communal Fears (e.g. Claustrophobia, Agoraphobia, Megalophobia, Enochlophobia)
- Active camouflage/cloaks/cloaking
- Constructive interference
- Disguises. Costumes. Masked balls.
- What destroys a community? What rebuilds it?
Submissions were accepted through November 15, 2021 and are now closed. Applicants will be contacted by January 5, 2022. Accepted designers will have a choice of festival benefits or a small stipend.
Questions? email: [email protected]