Exploring fact, fiction and what lies in between, the True/False Film Fest is an event that attracts more than 100 filmmakers, a similar number of musicians who play before films and at parties, and more than 13,000 attendees. The event fosters collegial camaraderie and an unhurried opportunity to view and discuss great films. Mixed in with a full schedule of films are events designed to stimulate conversation, debate, community, and pure fun. These include parties, workshops, field trips, panel discussions, a game show, works-in-progress seminars, and a parade that kicks off the weekend.
Every year, True/False brings a multitude of talented visual artists from near and far to reinvent venues and transform public spaces. What began as a visual backdrop for our fest over ten years ago is now an integral part of every aspect of what we do. Each year T/F adopts a theme and all festival art, including t-shirt designs, are inspired by or reflect that theme.
The visual theme for 2019 is Stranger↔Host
Visually, we imagine explorations of evocative relationships ranging from the human microbiome to the extraterrestrial outer limits. We encourage design that plays in the no-man’s-land between borders (like the slash in T/F) – liminal spaces where our assumptions can be upended.
- T-Shirt design proposals are due October 15, 2018
- For each accepted design, applicant will receive a choice of 2 Simple passes, 1 Lux pass, or a merchandise credit.
- Sojourners ↔ Interlopers & Visitors ↔ Invaders
- Host → hospitality & Host → hostile
- Palimpsests (ghost is a remnant presence)
- Host/guest rituals across cultures. For example, Xenia: the ancient Greek concept of hospitality, the generosity and courtesy shown to those who are far from home
- Spores/Meteors – The extraterrestrial origins of life
- Scion/Rootstock – on hybridization of plants
- Membranes/Borders – microbiology and metaphor
- Invasive species (eg, Salvinia molesta, razor clams, kudzu, nutria, stink bugs, cane toads, European starling [Sturnus Vulgaris], eucalyptus)
- Additional words and ideas include: transient, pioneer, wanderer, herald, transplant, pathfinder, drifter, vagabond, outsider, trespasser, gatecrasher, infiltrator, endogamic
Questions? [email protected]
True/False is a project of Ragtag Programming for Film and Media Art, a 501(c)3 non-profit arts organization that also operates Ragtag Cinema, a 365-day arthouse theater. The mission of Ragtag Programming for Film and Media Art is to champion independent film to stimulate and enrich the culture of our community.