True/False Film Fest has a long history of creating environments where visual artists can work together with the community of Columbia, MO USA, to transform venues throughout the town in a celebration of artists, films, music.
Aimed at emerging and midcareer artists, we are offering a five week virtual Artist in Residency Program. In keeping with our commitment to inclusivity, diversity and accessibility, we encourage applications from artists who may identify as underrepresented in the traditional art world (BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, disabled, and parents/caregivers).
We are dedicated to providing a platform for cultural exchange, networking, and creative exploration, allowing artists to connect and collaborate regardless of geographical constraints, culminating in an in person exhibition of their art installations during the 2024 T/F Film Fest.
We will exhibit the art installations of our six to eight artists in residence during the four day True/False Film Fest.
We welcome questions at any and all points during the application process; please feel free to contact us at [email protected]
Selected artists will meet online for a weekly two hour group session starting in November 2023. These sessions will focus on developing community and connection, adding to your knowledge about the current art world, and supporting the delivery of your art installation for True/False.
The residency ends with the exhibition/installation of proposed art installations at True/False on February 29 – March 3, 2024.
The goals of the residency:
- Community and connection with the other residents, True/False Art Curation Team, and professional guest artists.
- Providing development for artists during weekly meetings.
- Final Exhibition of completed proposed Art Installations at the Fest.
What we offer our residents:
- Weekly online sessions which include an artist speaker, professional practice tips, information specifically about T/F Film Fest, and additional individual meetings as part of the virtual Artist Residency.
- Exhibition/Art Installation for the duration of the Fest (29 Feb – 3 March 2024)
- $1000 Artist Stipend for each Art Installation.
- Additional shipping/travel and/or material costs up to $500. Costs beyond $500 will be covered by the artist.
- Artist Pass to the Festival (attendance is not mandatory)
- Local Press and spotlight on our website and social media.
Expectation of our residents:
- Attendance at each weekly virtual group meeting and one to two additional independent meetings with the Curation and Production Team (must have access to a computer and ability to take part in weekly zoom meetings).
- Active participation during group discussions and individual meetings.
- Completion of Art Installation (ready for install and delivered) by February 24th, 2024; installation will occur no later than Thursday, February 29th (install dates will depend on location) and deinstall will occur on March 4th, 2024.
SUBMISSIONS AND PROPOSAL MATERIALS
Proposals must include:
Completed online application including resume, contact information, artist website, art installation proposal, and social media links.
Art Installation proposal includes a proposal outline, images, and estimated installation/deinstallation needs for your Art Installation to be exhibited at the 2024 T/F Film Fest.
Incomplete proposals will not be accepted.
Artists must arrange the shipping and delivery of their work to and from the Fest. We have a highly skilled art curatorial team to install and deinstall the installations in the various venues. We encourage artwork that is shippable and can be installed by our T/F team.
True/False is looking for dynamic, original large-scale installations, projections, and performance work that have the flexibility to be modified to work in a variety of locations and unconventional venues, such as lobbies, hallways, balconies, outdoor alleyways, and street enclosures.
True/False art installations are temporary (the Fest is 4 days; art installations are rarely up for longer than 6 days) and site-specific. There are a variety of sites available. Some are interior, some exterior; some sites require that the art be suspended, others allow for art to be placed or secured to the ground, and some have the potential to combine both. Most locations have access to power. We have limited options for more traditional gallery work and video installations. Almost all of the art installations we exhibit are located in spaces that large groups of people move through or spend time in; this knowledge should inform your construction plans and design.You can view a pdf of some of our potential sites here.
All of the spaces we inhabit are either public spaces or are privately owned by organizations or individuals other than the Fest, and in some situations this may require additional information, permissions, or considerations. Once your proposal is accepted, we will work with you to determine (and prepare) any additional information, permissions, or considerations needed to install your piece. To view past work created for T/F, please see our Instagram feed (@truefalseart) which showcases a variety of pieces both in progress and installed and visit our archives.
Feel free to submit multiple proposals. We will accept proposals from anywhere in the world. We have provided a sample proposal.
Each year T/F adopts a visual theme – in 2024, the theme is The Human Paradox.
This year’s theme embraces the contradiction of True/False. The Fest exists to carve out space for nuance and complexity. With this theme, we attempt to hold multiple conflicting ideas at once and interrogate whether there can ever be one real truth. Humans must often exist in the in-between of contradiction, intentions and actions sometimes taking different paths, searching for logic to explain the illogical. Instead of passing judgment on inconsistency, we are reframing contradiction, looking towards the possibility in paradox and the expansion in the ability to exist outside of the expected.
- A walking contradiction
- Oxymorons (Cruel Kindness, Open Secret, Act Naturally, Alone Together, Genuine Fake)
- Cognitive dissonance
- Devil’s Advocate
- Satire and irony
- “Do I contradict myself? / Very well then, I contradict myself. / (I am large, I contain multitudes.)” – Walt Whitman
- The only constant in life is change
- The inherent fallibility of memory
- Doublethink / Indoctrination
- People who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones
- To speak in riddles
- Same Difference
TIMING AND DEADLINES
For True/False 2024, the Open Call for our Artist Residency will open July 10th, 2023.
All Proposals are due no later than September 30th, 2023; we welcome early submissions.
Applicants will be notified of acceptance by October 15th.
Virtual Residency Dates: Thursdays 6pm- 8pm CST November 2, 9, 16, 30, and December 7, 2023.
Install/ Exhibition/Deinstallation: The Fest will be held February 29th – March 3rd, 2024.
All accepted work will need to be completed (ready for install and delivered) by February 24th; installation will occur no later than Thursday, February 29th (install dates will depend on location) and deinstall will occur on March 4th, 2024.
Submissions for the 2024 residency are now closed. Please contact [email protected] with any questions.