Ragtag's Birthday Drive-In
SATURDAY AUGUST 15, 2020
For 10 years now, our summer event has featured a scenic bike ride, spirited live music, a locally sourced dinner, and a film under the stars. In an effort to provide a fun and safe event for all, we are excited to announce that this year’s Boone Dawdle will be replaced with a pop-up movie theater Drive-In extravaganza celebrating Ragtag’s 20th birthday! We are partnering with Les Bourgeois Vineyards to bring you a NEW shared experience with fun, food, and a film, all while staying safely distanced.
The event is set for Saturday, August 15 so save the date and stay tuned for more details!
We hope for a Boone Dawdle in 2021, so until then, enjoy the archive below…
The Boone Dawdle brings together some of the best things in life — biking, music, food, nature, and film. It’s also a fun, outdoorsy way to show your support of Ragtag Film Society.
To dawdle means to take one’s time, to proceed slowly — and that’s a fine way to describe this lazy summertime expedition from our downtown Columbia home to the Blufftop Bistro at Les Bourgeois Vineyards in Rocheport. Most of us will leisurely ride our bikes along the MKT and Katy Trails, finding intriguing Trailside Surprises along the way such as the Advice Machine, a trailside carnival, and many more–all accompanied by the sounds of busking musicians. (You can also choose to hop in your jalopy, or better yet, carpool to Les Bourgeois.)
Out at the Blufftop Bistro, before sunset, we’ll serve up a delicious local food picnic-style dinner (complete with beer, wine, and other drinks) and enjoy a concert. Once the sun has dropped, we’ll all kick back on the hillside to enjoy an outdoor screening of a new cinematic revelation under the stars, all while looking out over the Missouri River valley. Then its onto the buses and onto waiting out the days until True/False.
The Mini Float Trip. Enjoy a 25-minute round-trip boat ride on the Missouri River with our friends from Missouri River Relief. Once you reach Katfish Katy’s on your bike, you’ll make your way down to the boat ramp, check your bike with our crew, then jump on a boat for a tour of the Big Muddy, which will include spectacular views of the limestone bluffs, eagles’ nests, and prehistoric artwork, as well as insider knowledge about the river imparted by the River Relief crew. The Float Trip is limited to the first 80 folks who purchase a ticket.
- 1:00-4:00 pm Bike Clinic by Walt’s Bike Shop at Flat Branch Park
- 2:00-4:00 pm Registration and bike ride departures from Flat Branch Park
- 3:30-5:45 pm Float trips depart from Katfish Katy’s (for Whole Shebang and Super Circle ticket holders who reserved a spot)
- 6:00 pm Doors open for the party at the Blufftop Bistro at Les Bourgeois Vineyards
- 6:00-8:30 pm Dinner buffet open
- 7:00-8:30 pm Concert
- 8:30-9:00 pm Raffle drawing
- 9:00-10:45 pm Screening
- 10:45-11:15 pm Q&A with TBD
- 11:00 pm-11:45 pm Shuttles depart from Les Bourgeois for Flat Branch Park
- 12:30 am Bike pick up closes at Flat Branch Park
(Schedule is subject to minor changes)
- 2019: CIRCUS OF BOOKS, dir. Rachel Mason
- 2018: THE GOSPEL OF EUREKA, dirs. Michael Palmieri & Donal Moshar
- 2017: STRAD STYLE, dir. Stefan Avalos
- 2016: CONTEMPORARY COLOR, dirs. Bill & Turner Ross
- 2015: BREAKING A MONSTER, dir. Luke Meyer & prod. Tom Davis
- 2014: AN HONEST LIAR, dirs. Justin Weinstein & Tyler Measom
- 2013: LUNARCY, dir. Simon Ennis
- 2012: THE SOURCE, dir. Jody Wille
- 2011: LAST DAYS HERE, dirs. Demian Fenton & Don Argott
- 2010: BEST WORST MOVIE, dir. Michael Stephenson
THE FOOD AND DRINK
Several of our favorite local producers will be featured along the trail and at the local foods picnic at the winery. A huge thanks to our dear culinary contributors, our partners in feasting: Backyard Farmer, Boone Olive Oil, Buttonwood Farms, Missouri Legacy Beef, Patchwork Family Farms, Peach Tree Farm, the Sage Garden, and The Veggie Patch!
The 2019 dinner menu included:
-Mixed green and seasonal veggie salad with house dressings
-Spinach and artichoke dip with toasted pita chips
-Cucumber barrels with olive tapenade & shaved parmesan
-Sugar cured watermelon shards with balsamic vinaigrette drizzle
-Smoked pulled pork street tacos
-Sweet and sour chicken strips
-Roasted BBQ meatballs
-Buttermilk cornbread diamonds
-Potato baby stuffed rounds
-Banana pudding tarts with caramel praline
We sell $5 raffle tickets (or 5 for $20) as a fundraiser for RFS. You put your purchased tickets towards the specific package you hope to win. Every year we round up lots of fabulous prizes often including, but not limited to: a bike from Walt’s (or $800 credit towards a bike of your choice), 2 weekend passes to Roots n’ Blues, concert tickets from the Blue Note, T/F Lux passes, and Ragtag Couch Club memberships! Raffle tickets are available from our Queens and at the bottom of the hill from our Bike Hops. Winners are drawn starting at 8:30pm, and you must be present to win!